Thursday, January 6, 2011

Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne

More of an Idiot: Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne: "Let's ignore the amount of time, over the last three weeks, it took me to learn how to spell "irresistible," and go straight on to the book. This book is one enthusiastic Christian's rallying cry to return Christianity to his idea of its roots : the simple, self-supporting communities of Acts that lived simply and reached out both materially and spiritually. Claiborne organized his book half around ideas related to his vision of Christianity -- or the revolution, as he calls it -- and half around his own story, how he came to where he is now (or in 2007).

I'm having a hard time writing this review as a book review, because the book spoke to my heart as a Christian. Claiborne essential advocates for the idea that Christianity doesn't merely mean living morally as we pursue the American Dream -- it means dreaming a different driving and clinging to an alternative way of life and an alternative way of being. He describes a peaceful, joyful, Christ-centered, others-oriented, down-to-earth, idealistic, relationship-infused, communal, complete way of being that marks the irresistible revolution. Christians, he maintains, should start this revolution, and it will catch.

Unlike most of my favorite spiritual writers, Claiborne does not come with credentials -- not degrees from Catholic institutions (um, he's not Catholic) nor seals of approval from the Church. He writes playfully, yet seriously, with great emotional appeal, yet grounded. I don't know if he would have convinced me if I had strongly disagreed with his ideas. However, since I was already convinced that as a Christian I should be seeking another way to live my life, I found the book inspiring (hey, I'm not alone) and challenging (but I have a long way to go)."

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like just my kind of writer : ) Real and raw. Love the book title. I am not even going to try to spell irres-
    : )
    I saw your blog title on the sidebar at a blog I was visiting a moment ago and I felt compelled to click over. That is a great title!

    ReplyDelete