Friday, July 13, 2012

Close to Home: Confections

Cupcake Heaven has a rival!  Confections, a small cupcakery that started as a home-business and has grown, impressed us during the heat wave.  My mother and sister joined Larry's mom and me on this stop.  Actually, they are basically part of the tour now (although neither has provided reviews in writing) since my mom is out of school for the summer and my sister is back from Francophone adventures.

We came on a day of high heat and humidity and, after walking in, wished we had joined the patrons who brought iced coffee from Starbucks to enjoy with our sugary deliciousness.  The selection of drinks was narrow, which I would not have minded, except that I waited fifteen minutes for a cup of tea that was heated in the microwave.  The cashier was friendly and apologetic however.


After Cupcake Heaven, Confections had the largest shop of the tour, and they obviously expect people to sit and enjoy.  They had cute tables and Top 40 music and big windows and a little old grandma who mixed cupcakes as we ate them.  I think she was the secret weapon of Confections. 


Whatever the secret weapon, it worked!  I ate a salted caramel pretzel cupcake.  I don't know who thought of such a thing, but that person is a genius.  The caramel cake by itself was so-so, but it had a salted buttercream frosting and when their power combined, that effect was one of the most surprisingly yummy things I've eaten.  It came topped with a chocolate covered pretzel, so it even satisfied the not-at-all-hidden chocoholic in me. 


I give them a 5 of 5 stars.  The grandmother bumped them into the extra-credit zone that Cupcake Heaven occupies, but the slow tea brought them back down.  Not too far though.


Here is Larry's mom's review.  Normally I paste them in exactly as she sends them to me, but this one is edited with the proper pricing, which she was unsure of when she wrote the review.


Confections Cupcakery in Manassas/borders Woodbridge:

4 1/2 overall
I had the Pink Champagne cupcake which was different w/a slight taste of champagne in the frosting.
The cake was moist but plain vanilla.
The frosting was what made this cupcake. Pretty in pink, hint of champagne & not too sweet or greasy.
They had a nice variety of cupcakes & some pop-cakes. You could watch them make up the sweets as you relax in the well lit, spaciousness of the shop. You could also enjoy sitting at one of the tables outside on a nice day.
Drinks were limited. One could just cross the street to get Starbucks one & then sit outside either place.
The shop was clean, constantly busy which bodes well for the place, as well as in a very good location.
The price was reasonable ($2.50) & the size average.
I would return to & try another flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment