Monday, July 9, 2012

Resistance and Martyrdom

I've struggled for a while with the Church's teaching on self-defense -- and just war since the two are linked.  I'm not sure how a religion that values martyrdom and eschews violence can come up with a theory that allows the killing of people.  I know they are not "innocent people," but my Church teaches love for the bad as much as the good and that none of us are innocent.

With this mindset, I found myself nodding in agreement when I read this post on lethal resistance, written by an atheist blogger who recently made waves by announcing her conversion to Catholicism.  Her basic point is that lethal resistance has no redemptive value for either soul involved.

My assumption here is that I need to read more Aquinas, not that the Church is wrong.  If any of my faithful readers want to recommend a good read on this topic, please send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment