Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sugar Buzz: Cupcakes and Cannoli

My own mother and Wendy joined Larry's mom and me for the most recent stop on the cupcake tour. We went to Sugar Buzz, a cute cupcakery and coffee shop in historic Occoquan.  I had done a reconnaissance mission a few weeks ago, and the owner told me they are "the anti-Starbucks." 

[Side Note: I love local coffee shops.  Little, non-chain places where you order in English and can sit for hours with a book or computer and secretly people watch.  In case you haven't figured it out, I am like the uncool cousin of a hipster.  We are vaguely related and have some similar tendencies, but clearly do not have all of the same genes.  (I have lots of real cousins, some of whom are "cool."  None, as far as I know, are hipsters.)]

Larry's mom and I got cupcakes and iced coffee.  The presentation was by far the least impressive we've seen: simple frosting and a few sugary sprinkles.  I think I've made prettier cupcakes.  However, the chocolate and white frosting on the marble cupcake called to me, so I chose it.  This was a mistake on my part.  I don't like marble cake.  Marble cake takes two elements that stand well on their own and mixes them into a grayness of appearance and taste.  That being said, the frosting upon which I based my decision was perfect and the Boston-cream filling in the center made me savor every bite.  The cake was dense, which I like best, but marbled.  Which you only expect when you order a marble cupcake.

Wendy went for a cannoli instead of a cupcake, and it satisfied her Italian taste buds.  They apparently buy the shells and make the filling.  The girl behind the counter made her first cannoli for Wendy.  By this and by her difficulty making change, I am guessing she was new.  In spite of slow cannoli and problematic mathematics, the service was lovely: both she and the owner were friendly, helpful, and talkative and helped accommodate a party of four, which seemed to be larger than they expected.

My main complaint about Sugar Buzz is that it is only open Thursday through Sunday.  Their iced coffee was yummy and I would love to become a regular to do schoolwork there.  Alas, I need a coffee shop for Monday through Wednesday.

Overall, I give Sugar Buzz a 4.5 of 5 stars.  You might not believe it based on the review below, but Larry's mom and I do review these places separately.

Rating 4 1/2
I would return because the cupcakes were good, it's close by & the owner/employees were friendly & helpful.
Price - average low @ $2.50 (was this right?).
The drinks were priced a bit high & OK. They did have bottle water sodas, fresh teas & decent coffee.
Variety small but decent.
Shop small but comfortable. It would be nice to sit outside on nice days.
Its hours are limited to Thurs - Sun.
The frosting amount, texture & sweetness were just right, not too greasy.
There could have been a little more filling on the inside. I had the boston cream. I was afraid of it being too donutnutty but it was light. Some of the cupcakes were made from pound cake instead of regular cake like mine was.
The company I was with was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment