Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In Defense of Doubting Thomas

Happy Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle!  He has a rather negative reputation, since he is best known as "doubting Thomas."  If you don't know his story, he was absent when Jesus first appeared to the Apostles after the Resurrection.  He didn't believe that they had seen Jesus and told the others, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nail marks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."  The next week, Jesus came back and allowed Thomas to put his hands in His wounds.

Thomas may have doubted, but he got to place his hands into the wounds that saved him.  Although Jesus tells Thomas, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe!" I am filled with awe at the thought of the immense privilege Thomas had.  I have been contemplating the wounds of Christ lately, so this awe is part of an on-going wonderment.

Thomas experiences this wonderment.  When he touches Jesus, he doesn't say, "I was wrong!" or "Sorry I didn't believe you, guys!"  He exclaims with awe and reverence, "My Lord and my God!" immediately worshiping his Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment