Friday, August 21, 2009

Ad Hominem

Well, actually, ad vampirum, or something like that.

I started reading Twilight (hold your judgement, please... I'm about to start working with middle schoolers!) and discovered that though I cannot stand most of the characters, there is at least one amazing line in the first hundred pages (I give a bit of context too):

"But can your truck make it there on one tank of gas?" [Edward asks Bella.]
"I don't see how that is any of your business." [Bella answers.]
"The wasting of finite resources is everyone's business." [BEST VAMPIRE LINE EVER!]

I realize its an ad hominem argument that can backfire if my 4 readers, like myself, are skeptical of this Twilight business, but I enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. One of my German cousins bought this for me before I left Germany. I spent the rest of my down time (read: trains, planes, and hostels) reading it. I am a sucker for books like that, especially when I am spending so much time alone. The Twilight phenomenon didn't hit me until I returned to the States. Twilight itself is the only one I have read. So, no judgement from 1/4 of your readers!

    ReplyDelete