Thursday, August 27, 2009

Miss Z

That's what the kids call me. I told some of them my last name, they made a face -- you expect us to say what?! -- and that was that. I became Ms. Z from day one.

I haven't really had a "typical day" yet, because various parts of school just haven't started yet. Monday's schedule was all turned around; Tuesday was still slightly confused. Now we're more into the swing of things, but none of "ancillary" classes (what we called "specials" when I was in school) have started yet, so we have an awkward hour each day.

But, hypothetically, should a typical day happen, here's what it would look like:
  • Get to school around 7:30. Settle my things, talk to other teachers, maybe watch the students play outside.
  • Help everyone get to their classroom without killing/injuring their classmates.
  • Collect papers to be copied/attendance from teacher. Make copies for the next hour/chat with whomever is in the office.
  • Poke into whichever classroom needs me. Or, sit and observe the English teacher.
  • Lunch/free time/awkward hour. My break generally comes in here.
  • Practice math test. Look stern, hand out papers, and say, "If there is any talking in this room, I will take your paper and you will receive a zero." Stalk through the room, glaring at the slightest sound. I have never seen more whispering and blatant answer sharing than on the first day, so I am mean.
  • Break.
  • "Extended day" = extra time for school. It's part of the "Nativity Model."
  • Lead a reading group, with the help of Ana. I try to make this time as interactive as I can while still having some sort of consistency with the other reading groups. Sometimes we have sit-down-and-work-silently time, however, because they won't listen.
  • Lead MUN or supervise tutors from local high schools for the second "elective" block of the extended day.
  • Send them all home, find Ana, and bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment