Thursday, August 6, 2009

Here I Am, Lord!

Say that phrase with as many variations in inflection as you can imagine, and you will probably accurately reflect my feelings since arriving in St. Louis.

Our house used to be a convent, so is laid out particularly well for this program. Each volunteer has her own bedroom with a sink, though we share toilets and showers. We have a kitchen, a dining room, several guest rooms, and several sizes of common rooms. Best of all, we have a tiny chapel with a tabernacle where Jesus lives, in addition to living right next door to the church.

I have a community of 6 volunteers, and we have spent the past few days getting oriented, a process which will conclude this Saturday with a commissioning Mass. Since settling into the house here with my "Six-Pack" community (as the priest next door christened us), I have discovered several of the best-kept secrets of the Catholic world.

We have learned about Vincentian spirituality, discussed community and simple living, and visited the ministry sites of each group member. At these ministry sites, I have been blessed to see the workings of justice -- both direct service and systemic change -- that I only discovered fully in college. As we visited site four (of five) today, I found myself wondering why I had never seen or heard of these operations before. Why are we not exposed to this part of the Church as young Catholics? When Mass fails to hold our attention, when the Rosary seems boring and repetitive, when saints are too holy or only found in books, why are we not taken out here, to where men and women living out the faith in confidence day after day? This is the part of the Church that should draw people, and then when they ask (as one must ask after a little time): "How do you keep going?", we can answer by bringing them to the Eucharist. And this good is a side affect of the good of serving the least.

After all, Jesus gives us service of others as a mandate, not an option. It's something we as Catholics, as Christians, myself especially, can recognize but fail to act upon. This year is about that action, but it shouldn't be merely a year. This is my challenge to myself. The motto of VSC Central is "A year of service makes a lifetime of difference," and I have adopted that as my personal resolution.

Important Sidenote: Most of my 4 loyal readers have my address. I need a piece of mail with my name on it in order to get a library card. Please help me remedy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment