Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Others

Sometimes, I know I made the right choice (read: God called me where I needed to be and I had sense enough to follow). Today we went on an adventure to the Jesuit Volunteer Corps' house for a potluck lunch.

St. Louis has a plethora of volunteer organizations, especially Catholic ones, and today we had the blessing of meeting the JVs, re-meeting the Marianists, and networking (read: playing Apples to Apples) with former volunteers, including teachers, who offered sage wisdom about my coming career, including: "Remember that you're the adult."

Ponderings on that bit of wisdom aside, I enjoyed the time spent with other people who have made similar decisions and will lead similar lives to mine for the next year. The JVs have a for-real house, not a former convent, complete with a sketchy basement, that looks fun by day but would really creep me out by night. It comes complete with a beer pong table. (See what I mean about right choices?)

Each community has a very different vibe, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what feels different about each of the other communities. Each (ours included) has the potential to become something very beautiful for God this year. But each will take a very unique shape and be something completely unique for God. It reminds me of forming retreat teams: no two are alike, each images a piece of the grandness that is God, and I am sure that I belong where I am.


Side Note -- According to Apples to Apples: Wild, Dangerous, Unscrupulous, Desperate, Lucky. Hopefully this is not the first impression I left with the people I just met.

No comments:

Post a Comment