Saturday, June 20, 2009

Civil Debate

A friend (a real one, not just the Facebook kind!) posted this on Facebook as "one of the most intelligent and balanced discussions of the pro life v. pro choice debate i've seen."

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Mike Huckabee Extended Interview Pt. 1
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorJason Jones in Iran


None of the loyal three readers whom I have recently discovered should have any question where I stand on abortion. (If you do, loyal three readers, read the post directly below this.) So instead of expounding upon Huckabee's well-articulated case, I am going to marvel at The Daily Show.

Why is it that, outside of the Nicholson 2nd Upper bathroom freshman year and a few other late-night places, this conversation is the most real conversation I have heard about abortion? Normal "discussion" consists of highly-charged rhetoric being thrown from one side to the other in simultaneous monologues that talk over around and through each other. Yet Jon Stewart, who claims his "fake news" functions only as comedy, can have a civil televised dialogue.

If I ever become a serious academic, conducting research of her own, I want to figure this one out. What is it about Jon Stewart and, in a slightly different manner, Stephen Colbert that allows them to confront current events in a way the mainstream media will not?

2 comments:

  1. This brings up a few points for me. It annoys me that our society shys away from debate. In my opinion, discussions such as these provide a phenominal opportunity for growth. A friend from Spain noted after spending a year on WM campus that she missed having political debates with people. From what I understand, in her culture, people can sit down at a bar, have a debate possibly heated, and leave as friends. Here debate is treated as arguement where nothing is gained. Often respect for those involved is lost and there are certainly few friendships earned. Of course this isn't always the case, I have shared some wonderful late night discussions with people.

    My second thought is that my most interesting and difficult conversation about abortion occurred during my semester abroad. I met a girl/ woman who believed some things I had never heard uttered in serious tones. What they were will only anger you, so I won't share. Suffice it to say from my seat of political innactivity on this issue, I was thoroughly disgusted. In remembering that moment, I can now relate and empathize to the movement, though I am not a part which is something I couldn't entirely do before.

    Mostly I want you to know that I appreciate your passion and the vigor with which you commit yourself to your beliefs. You keep fighting. I'll keep reading. (sorry about the mispelled words.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why is it that, outside of the Nicholson 2nd Upper bathroom freshman year..."
    awww
    I miss you!
    -duh

    ReplyDelete