Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Modest Is Hottest! *insert cheesy grin*

I have spent some time recently thinking about women veiling themselves in churches. Perhaps these thoughts should come as no surprise -- they follow a pattern of trying to figure out femininity in light of my work with Feminists for Life.

In my (scientific) Google searches, I came across all sorts of sites. Many of them promoted women wearing a veil as an expression of modesty. While I am trying to wrap my mind around modesty coming from covering one's hair, I had more trouble with some of the other standards for modesty. Skirts that cover the knees -- fine. Nothing low-cut or with exposed back -- I'm still following. But the creators of one site barely conceded 3/4 length sleeves. And forbade anything worn with a sweater or jacket if it wasn't modest without it.

I understand the logic behind it: a standard of dress based on "covering" rather than showing off. That's what I hate about the "modest is hottest" motto of the YouthWorks dress code. (I refused to say it and cringed every time my other staff members did.) Hot implies that one is trying to present oneself as sexually attractive. It implies lust. Modesty works against lust.

However, I'm fairly certain my elbows do not inspire lust. These standards just makes me question the reasonableness of these web-mistresses and casts doubt on all they say. Standing between extremes often means figuring out how to disagree with those with whom you agree and sorting between sensible and off-mark. Or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. I was walking across campus today and thought about this entry.

    I spoke with a lyberian woman in one of my Italian classes (while in Italy) who was a devout and conservative muslim about veils. From what I can remember from what I could understand (the conversation was in Italian), hair is beautiful in a way which may inspire lust. She believed it was only to be seen by other females and members of her family. Once she was married, her husband would be able to see her hair while she was at home.

    This explanation by itself did not get me anywhere in true understanding until I remember the woman whom I had passed who triggered this thought process. She was wearing a gorgeous scarf to cover her bald head. How devastating is it when a woman (since we are talking about women) loses her hair while fighting cancer? When I read Liz's blog about shaving her friend's head, the veils make more sense. A woman, whether she realizes it or not, places a lot of value on her hair. Curly haired girls spend countless resources trying to get the curls out or trying to keep the humidity from doing crazy things. Straight haired girls spend the same resources on getting curly hair or at least more body. Why do we do this? Society and Men. What does Liz mention when she was buzzing her friends hair? The male response (poor). What have most of my male friends listed as traits they like? Long hair. There is something almost empirically feminine in our society about long hair.

    Veils cover this jewel, this beauty, this expression of femininity. They help shield wandering minds from the danger of astheic beauty (we know how much sight affects us, but in the case of lust, let's say males).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep coming back to that. What is it about hair that is so powerful? How come that particular piece of feminine beauty matters so much? Is covering hair purely symbolic (I am veiling my beauty out of respect for God) or does it accomplish something (keep men from lusting) on its own? Is there a male parallel?

    ReplyDelete