Monday, June 22, 2009

Iron-Jawed Angels

I am loath not to come up with a creative title for this post, but I decided that the name of the movie will catch attention well. I watched the film by that title today: Iron-Jawed Angels.

The HBO film covers the final eight years of the suffrage movement in the US, leading up to the passage of the 19th Amendment.

Spoiler Alert: Women get the right to vote in 1920 with an amendment to the US Constitution.

I knew that before this afternoon. I also considered myself well-educated on feminist history. I knew a little it more than the history class version: Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote some stuff, then -- magic -- the 19th Amendment happened! I at least knew that they died before 1920.

Iron-Jawed Angels depicts the passionate struggle of Alice Paul and Lucy Burns to convince Congress, the President, and their fellow feminists to amend the Constitution. It covers bringing in a woman on horseback dressed as a goddess-warrior (no, for real!); campaigning and fundraising; and picketing outside the White House. These women snuck banners into Congress, paraded on Inauguration day, used Wilson's own words to change his mind, kept Vigil outside the White House. They were arrested on false charges and imprisoned. They endured torture and enacted hunger strikes.

The actual cinematography got a bit trippy at times, but most of the historical facts check out. They just never made it into the history books. It's almost enough to make me subscribe to the "herstory" school of thought. It at least makes me want every woman and older girl see the film to inspire their own investigation of our history.

Also, it makes me want to be Alice Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry beth, but - died before 1290? And every women and older girl?

    Tsk tsk. How many months out of WM and you've slipped so far!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that happened at W&M sometimes too...

    ReplyDelete