Monday, June 8, 2009

The Joke I Really Wanted To Make

It's probably all because pro-lifers are terrorists. Oh. Wait. I'm not supposed to say the punchline yet. In my defense, I waited until we were several blocks away from the Capitol to say anything...

Today started my time with Missionaries for Life, my internship and summer adventure. Having already located the office last night, I found it without hitch this morning, and we launched into several hours of orientation. Of the 4 jobs I have attended training to perform, this orientation was by far the least painful. Probably because there are only 7 of us and while we are saving babies, we aren't working with minors.

After training at SFLA, we moved to Capitol Hill. We had been invited to a conservative leadership seminar, because good pro-lifers are, of course, conservative (**pls acknowledge the sarcasm**). I got to hear Bay Buchanan and Liz Cheney speak, along with 2 other women whose names I don't remember, the unfortunate effect of being a visual person and not knowing enough names in politics. I tried not to make faces, succeeded in holding my tongue, and enjoyed the hilarity of my being there.

As one of the last speakers on the agenda was finishing up, I was trying to ignore the goosebumps forming on my arms by watching the door that opened to the hallway as a policeman walked up. I heard him ask for the person in charge. When she came, he told her we needed to leave: the building was being evacuated!

If you want to know my first thought, see the first line of this post. On second thought, however, I realized that the seminar was conservative, not pro-life.

We wandered through mazes of Capitol until somehow elevators that looked like we were deep in the bowels of the building brought us to ground level and sunlight! We promptly stopped to take pictures and were yelled at by the police for blocking the road.

I still don't know why we were evacuated, though I am actively seeking information.

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha, beth (and this is carrie by the way) this entire post is hilarious. and actually, i witnessed a bomb threat and evacuation earlier this summer when passing out info. a the legislature on choose life license plates. coincidence? i think not.

    ReplyDelete