Saturday, June 27, 2009

On Congress and the Gods

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to meet with Rep. Spencer Bachus (R. AL-6). One of the other Missionaries comes from Alabama, and a prof of hers set up the meeting for AL interns. We just got invited along for the ride.

I know a little bit too much about classics for my own good. I spent a great deal of time thinking of Bacchus, the Greco-Roman god of (as my Latin teacher said) "drugs, sex, and rock'n'roll." Definitely alcohol.

I had never ventured into a Congressional office building before. Bachus's office was full of his interns and crowded as we visiting interns waited for the House to finish voting. The Congressman's walls were lined with model trains -- I don't know if they are a personal hobby or if his district does something with trains. By the door, he had hung a framed display on the Civil War, including photos of Abe Lincoln and Jeff Davis side by side.

The actual meeting disappointed me a tad. It was obviously token contact -- let me talk to you for five minutes (history lessons on DC and Yorktown) and snap a picture, so it looks good for constituents. However he was friendly enough, and now, if I ever want to see mine own Congressperson, I won't be quite so nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment