Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Books, Gender, and Paradigms

Today for the first time, some of the kids took some of my favorite books out from the library. One of the 6th graders chose The Boxcar Children, a favorite from elementary school. Around 1st grade. Granted, I read above grade and he is reading below, so it probably is a good fit.

But the one that really startled me was an 8th grade boy who picked out a Dear America book. He's a sweet, but typical eighth grade boy. A goof, athletic like all the kids, pretty easy going. Definitely not effeminate. I didn't want to create stereotypes by telling him that Dear America books are "girl" books, but I was surprised that he didn't realize it, and none of the girls in the library corrected him. I like it; it's just was a weird moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment