Friday, November 27, 2009

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

After a hockey game to wipe away a difficult week, I had quite a Saturday ahead. First, five of the six of us headed out to Anheuser-Busch brewery. They offer free tours with samples at the end. I don't care too much about large businesses or beer, but the site is old and has some historical significance. So after seeing the Clydesdales, I still had interesting things to see and hear. I saw the parts and pieces that go into beer. While I'm still not 100% sure what hops or malt is, I have seen both of them. Also, I enjoyed hearing their account of Prohibition. They had a crazy fox-man, Bevo, who represented non-alcoholic beer, and sold yeast.

Following the beer tour, we rushed home to unite with Em and head off to City Museum. Oh. My. Goodness. The most magical man-made place on earth. We started by climbing up a ramp that led onto wooden barrels as large as the metal ones at Anheuser-Busch. They led us into the ceiling, through wire tubes, around giant forests, inside tree houses, and down an elephant slide. Next, I peered into what looked like a fountain that had been turned off and discovered a tunnel. It was approximately narrow enough for me to fit through and took us to a cave system beneath and behind other rooms, including a small aquarium. It also took us to a slide seven stories high.

Long story of our adventures short, we ended up in a giant ball pit, an old falling apart airplane, bird cages above the ground, a Romeo-and-Juliet balcony, and more slides. Then on the roof! There we found a school bus suspended above the parking lot, a giant rope swing, more slides (including one to climb), and a Ferris wheel.

After five hours of running, climbing, and sliding, we were worn out. We headed home, tired and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment