Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Prisons?

Hello again, Stephen Colbert! In my daily dose of news and satire, today (though it's yesterday's show, played online) I learned that Arizona is privatizing their prison system. I knew vaguely that people talk about such a thing, but I had no real thoughts on it. Luckily, Colbert makes me think.


From disciplining kids, I know that punishing people is not fun. I do it because it's necessary and I care enough about these kids to want them to grow into decent people; and learning action = consequence will help. A problem comes about when someone wants to punish another person. That's twisted and, well, sadistic. And it's the danger that privatized prisons run. Or else they could simply dehumanize prisoners. Even the worst offenders are still human, something our society has a hard time remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment