Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Religions

Eventually, I will return to a 50-hour work-week, and my posts will once again become shorter and less frequent. Until then, my loyal readers will find more to read -- or in this case watch.

Stephen Colbert makes an appearance again! Yesterday he interviewed Stephen Prothero (who I'd never heard of) who wrote God Is Not One (which I'd never heard of) about the 8 major religions of the world, their vital differences, and why these differences are important. Besides Colbert's stunning defense of the Catholic crucifix, I enjoyed Prothero's explanation of the world's religions in terms of the problems they address: Catholicism, sin; Islam, pride; Buddhism, suffering; Judaism, exile. In fact, Prothero's explanations intrigued me so much, I put the book on hold at the library as I was watching the interview.

So, for your enjoyment:


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Stephen Prothero
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorFox News

No comments:

Post a Comment